A great way to help your children feel like their lives are orderly and well-balanced is to establish a routine in your home. If you and your children agree on their schedule for the day, you will not need to re-negotiate or have conflict about these decisions. Children thrive in an environment where they understand what is expected of them and when they are praised for succeeding.
- Have a consistent routine every day.
- Make a schedule and follow it.
- Designate specific time for homework, outdoor playtime, and indoor time to relax, play music and games.
- Limit TV, computer, and phone use.
- Keep everyday items organized at all times.
- Create places where school materials are to be kept.
- Keep track of homework assignments and textbooks.
- Regularly update a calendar of school deadlines and events.
- Stay clear and consistent.
- Give praise and rewards when child follows the rules and accomplishes goals.
WHAT IS PARENTING?
Smart parenting is raising your child with love, care and guidance to be a happy and healthy individual. Parents have the opportunity to teach children how to be successful in many ways.
Being a positive parent means creating a family environment that supports clear communication, clear expectations and good relationships with your children.
Parenting requires a healthy parent. When a parent takes care of their own health, they become a healthy role model for their children. Often a child will imitate what a parent does, so it is important for parents to eat well, exercise regularly, get regular medical and dental care, drive safely and get enough sleep.